What is an online TEFL certification?
What are the requirements to teach English abroad?
- A bachelor’s degree: Many countries and programs require English teachers to have a bachelor’s degree in any field. Some programs may accept candidates without a bachelor’s degree, but having one can increase your job opportunities.
- TEFL certification: Some countries and programs may require or prefer English teachers to have a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification. This certification demonstrates that you have the necessary training and skills to teach English as a foreign language.
- Native or near-native English proficiency: English teachers should have a high level of English proficiency and be able to communicate effectively with non-native speakers.
- Experience: Some programs may require or prefer English teachers to have previous teaching experience, though others may provide training and support for new teachers.
- Work visa: Depending on the country, English teachers may need to obtain a work visa to legally work and reside in the country.
How long is a TEFL certification valid?
The validity of a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification can vary depending on the institution or organization that issued the certification. Some TEFL certifications do not have an expiration date, while others may be valid for a certain number of years.
In general, it’s a good idea to update your TEFL certification every few years to stay current with the latest teaching techniques and methodologies. This can also demonstrate to employers that you are committed to professional development and continuing education.
Additionally, some countries or programs may require English teachers to have a certain number of hours of TEFL training or teaching experience, regardless of the expiration date of the certification. It’s important to research the specific requirements of the country or program where you plan to teach and ensure that your TEFL certification meets those requirements.
How do I know if an online TEFL course is accredited?
- Research the TEFL accreditation organizations and agencies: There are several organizations and agencies that accredit TEFL courses and programs. Some examples include the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), the British Council, and the Online TESOL and TEFL Standards Agency (OTTSA). You can research these organizations and agencies to learn more about their accreditation processes and the TEFL courses and programs they accredit.
- Check the TEFL course provider’s website: Many TEFL course providers will list the accrediting organizations and agencies that have accredited their courses or programs on their website. Look for information about accreditation and ensure that the accrediting organization or agency is recognized within the TEFL industry.
- Contact the TEFL course provider: If you’re unsure about the accreditation status of a TEFL course, you can contact the course provider directly to ask about their accreditation status and which organizations or agencies have accredited their courses or programs.
- Check for reviews or recommendations: You can also look for reviews or recommendations from other TEFL teachers or organizations to see if the TEFL course or provider is recognized and respected within the industry.
Millions of English speakers are bilingual but leveraging that trait as a translator requires another skill set entirely. If you know more than one language
Twinkl have been providing educators across the world with high-quality, trusted teaching and learning resources for over a decade. They’re all written and checked by
Teaching English online has become a booming industry, with a growing demand for qualified and experienced English language teachers. With eTEFL online courses, you can
Are you interested in teaching English as a foreign language, but don’t have the time or resources to attend a traditional classroom-based course? Look no
TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification is an important credential for anyone who wants to teach English as a foreign language. While it